ShrekChan (RIP) was the Internet's first Shrek-themed imageboard. Founded in late 2012 by Shrek ## ADMIN ##, ShrekChan had evolved into a central meeting point for Brogres around the world. The rules of ShrekChan were very loose, even for an imageboard. This was indubitably one of the partial factors in ShrekChan's rapid rise in popularity. About once a month, ShrekChan went down for a while. This was of course the worst time of each month.
Then and Now
Shrekchan was created many millennia ago by unknown life forms about which to this day people are still divided. It's creation remains a mystery still unknown to those who dare[YOU KNOW WHAT FUCK YOU I DARE TO GO DEEPER] dig deeper.
BUT there's more to it: [illuminati citation needed]
I am talking about the beginning back then in 29 October '12, when someone who wouldn't like to share his name but otherwise share his address, made this chan. Around June, /mu/ (4chan's music board) had found this chan and started talking about it. After the /mu/ thread got over 100 replies, they moved it to /x/ (/x/ being the paranormal board of 4chan). More on that later. See, back then, Shrekchan wasn't just the ordinary chan you know nowadays. It was more like a mask of something obscure and dark. The old Shrekchan had a lot of hidden pages. People thought that these pages were only a quarter of all the pages. As people were looking for hidden pages, someone found a clock countdown that ended on the day the Olympics started, just before the days the Olympics started, there were a lot of fakers, but also some who could give you the creeps. During the night, someone made a thread saying that he found this on YouTube. The thread was ignored.
Back then, Shrekchan had a livestream in which they would stream all the Shrek movies. There was something really weird about those streams. The movie would occasionally get interrupted by Satanic rituals and chants (heard in the background), sometimes something REALLY strange (like a horse thingy screencap, straight outta stream). Everything continued this way until the Olympics were over. When the Olympics got finished, Shrekchan went down for 2 or 3 days and when it got turned on most of the hidden pages got deleted. The livestream is dead, nobody comes on it anymore, and if you talk about anything NOT Shrek related, you get banned and your post gets deleted.
Tie-in with the Illuminati
After a guy on /mu/ posted a link to shrekchan, it was spammed very hard and all the original posts went 404. Later they revelaed that shrekchan had alot of secret pages that referenced things like illuminati, ancient egyptian texts and other really spooky stuff. Pages with audio, pdf documents with books from 1700s and videos were found on several hidden pages around on shrekchan.org.
This is also when ShrekChan reached its peak of popularity and went somewhat "viral".
The only rules of ShrekChan were as follows:
- "Have fun"
- "Be safe"
- "This is a safe-for-work imageboard. Any adult content will be removed."
It was also implied that one should not post dreck content, though there wasn't a formal rule for this.
There were multiple boards on ShrekChan. Some were accessible by everybody, while others were secret.
- /shr/ - The signature board of ShrekChan; it was for general discussion of the Shrek franchise, although general discussion of all types tended to happen in here as well.
- /hack/ - 1337 h4x0rz lurk this board; you couldn't get them, though, for they have Norton Antivirus!
- /social/ - A board for roleplaying, Original content, and tripfags to cause drama and shitpost. It was Shrekchan's version of 4chan's /b/.
- /site/ - The board for providing the people who run ShrekChan with suggestions; in other words, the Site Suggestions board
- /chat/ - A text board for brogres to talk about stuff.
- /cooking/ - A board to discuss cooking and health for all fellow orges.
- /420/ - ShrekSmoke was a board made just for drug users (especially those that smoke da swamp grass).
- /oink/ - A board for pork lovers, where you kill pigs for father. oinkingandpiggy
- /lounge/ - Everyone wanted to get in, and only Shrek ## Admin ## and Bono (rip) knew how to do so.
EDIT: As of 8/19/13, it is now seemingly impossible to get into /lounge/ thanks to 'Jim the Gatekeeper' EDIT: The old lounge in its original state can be visited by the archives.
- /tv/ - Shrekchan's stream page, originally used for streaming the shrek movies. This page was infamous for being sketchy, such as playing strange clips, disturbing pictures, and other events. Due to copyright issues, the website at one point became barred from streaming Shrek, and eventually the front page link was removed.
- /int/ - Assumedly similar to 4chan's /int/ board, the board was removed late january 2013.
- /mu/ - Was never a real board, but had a countdown timer for something 4chan's /mu/ board beleived to be an illuminati conspiracy. This was removed later when 4chan freaked out. It was later brought back up as a music board, and then killed along with /v/.
- /x/ a board that linked you to a wonderful collection of images of pollandball
- /v/ - A board about the discussion of Shrek games and other vidya. /v/, along with /mu/, are now no longer boards and both take you to a spoopy page that reads "welcome to the afterlife!"
- /shart/ - A board for OC and a page where everyone can share their art
- /rp/ - A board that was for roleplaying, oc, and drama. /Social/ now takes its place.
- http://shrekchan.org/holyshit/index.html - If you clicked on the dog's face (His name is Fang) it would lead you to the former /mu/. The name of the song was Sicx & Brotha Lynch Hung - One Nigga Dead
- http://www.shrekchan.org/projects/dog/report.html - A safe place to report your alien abductions.
- http://www.shrekchan.org/projects/lounge/lounge.html - The OTHER lounge
- http://www.shrekchan.org/projects/segway.html - Some blog about a guy going on a trip. On a segway.
Most of these are dead links, and you used to be able to see most of the hidden pages (but not all!) on http://shrekchan.org/pages.html
- http://www.shrekchan.org/ The homepage of ShrekChan
Shrekchan was unfortunately shut down, due to the Shrek meme becoming popular enough to cause the the people at "Know Le Meme" and reddit to start spamming overused Shrek jokes and killing the Shrek meme. At the end of ShrekChan's reign, there was an overflow of memes, and the brogers who fought them off had already left ages ago. But the admin would not let his friends down, for he has created a brand new imageboard, which will hopefully steer away from rampant memefaggotry.